Sunday, December 31, 2006

Year in review "Purpose"

This is the hardest to evaluate and write. I find it much more soul searching to consider. And I intend this to be the last of "those" kinds of post for a good while. I've got pictures of some of the stitching I've been doing the last couple of weeks that need to go up. Now that I've a halfway satisfactory manner of posting them on this blog, I need to get to that. If you're interested in looking at what I'm doing with the stitches in SharonB's Take a Stitch Tuesdays Challenge, my plan is to soon be filling up my other blog with those pictures. Her start up day is January 2, 2007.

Back to the question at hand--did I keep to the great purpose "...whatever you do, do all to the glory of God"? I think that God has allowed me to explore His simple shapes with a needle and thread. I find geometric shapes and patterns fascinating. I thank Him for the exploration in those thing by use of a needle and thread on a ground. Many times I think of the stitch itself as a shape; other times a group of stitches is the shape I'm considering. This year I've found some of my stitching is an attempt to express something to God, if not others. One such piece I titled The Last Drop. Another is History Examined.

I'm indebted to so many wonderful stitchers who in God's providence have helped me learn. First, Lois at my LNS, Darlene O'Steen for her book The Proper Stitch (And the lady who recommended that book to me so that I actually pulled it out and read it rather than just looking at the diagrams.),
Sherlee Lantz for the diagrams in A Pageant of Pattern, SharonB for her website and class and there are so many others that I thank God for also. The blogging has been an attempt to make available some of what I've been learning about stitching. But I found so many other needlework bloggers teaching and inspiring me instead, I can't say anything.

The other purpose besides exploration is what my mom said when we were discussing my needlework a few years ago. And I suppose only moms say these things to their daughters, "it would be good if you can put something beautiful in the world." I've had that purpose in mind from time to time on one piece of work or another. And often think of how the woman in Proverbs 31 was so involved in work with textiles not only for beauty but usefulness to her family and beyond. That concept seems difficult to translate into my circumstances but perhaps that is where I need to re-purpose or re-aim a bit this coming year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home